The first was the variety of Bible Study books that are available. I don't much go for the types of studies that focus on overcoming difficult environments or horrible childhoods. I didn't deal with them, so they don't really speak to me. Instead,
I really dig the ones that tweak to my analytical side. I love it when backgrounds and historical data are included, that places the words within their habitat, so I can get deeper meanings from them. Some of the Max Lucado studies along with those by John MacArthur and Kay Arthur are some of my favorites.
The second was over 15 years ago when I had the joy of doing a Ladies' Bible Study led by my friend Julia Rossen. She took just one verse, Mark 12:30. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength. She then proceeded to break apart what the scripture meant by heart, soul, mind, and strength, using dictionaries, the original Greek words, and cross-references. By the time we were done, that verse came alive with actions to fulfill the directive. I learned on that spring morning that love is an action verb, not an endearment or an idea.
The last method is one I learned just last year. I can't remember if I learned it from one of my kid's Bible Study books or one I bought for my e-reader by Kay Arthur, but I love it because I get to color. I'm very tactile and highlighting helps me in my discoveries. I do it differently for each type of book that I'm reading, but right now, as I'm going through the New Testament letters, I highlight any noun or pronoun that deals with God, the Father, or the Holy Spirit in yellow. I highlight Jesus, along with pronouns and other names for Him in blue. I use green to highlight important action verbs and pink to mark important nouns. Once everything is colored in a small section, it's easy for me to go back and hit the high points discovering what the letter is emphasizing. I add what Julia taught me along with this method and journal what I learn.
I'm sure there are lots of ways to study the Bible. It can be frustrating to want to dig into the Word and not know how. But God blesses a willing heart that's dedicated to Him.
How do you study God's Word?
****
Don't forget to stop back by next Tuesday for my interview with Jody Hedlund. I'm also giving away her new book, The Doctor's Lady, to one of the followers on my blog, so make sure you join me!
Great tips.
ReplyDeleteMostly, I just read it. I'm always reading it...I never stop...either first thing in the morning or last thing at night. I'll start with the Old Testament, read it, break, and start with the New.
I learn something new or see something in a new light each time I go through it.
I've done a lot of that as well. Made my way through it chronologically once. I really liked viewing the Old Testament that way. It helped put everything in perspective.
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting!