I've MOVED!

Visit me at my new blog at http://marjilaine.wordpress.com/

Don't miss all the new things that I'm sharing on my blog, but I'm not copying the articles here anymore. Come join me!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Round of Words in 80 Days

I know, it sounds crazy. How can making a word count goal actually produce halfway-decent writing? Just because the number of words increases doesn't mean that they are really worthy of any notice.

I admit, when I started the ROW80 program back in July, I was more than a little skeptical. But I knew
my time would be fleeting at this point. (Volleyball, worship team, home schooling, coop classes) I would need something to help me stay on task.

Fall is just a crazy busy time! This one is made even more so by multiplying the volleyballers by three, adding a missing office, a college junior, and a sweet hubby that is hanging around a little more than usual. And we won't even approach the stress levels. Okay? Okay!

My daily word-count goal forces me to set aside time to write. Once started, the ideas start flowing beyond the time I have, start oozing into my drives to and from volleyball, and excite me until I can get home and put some more down on paper.

Because of the focus on my WIP (work in progress) I've gone beyond the writing, setting up in depth character analysis, finding pictures that match the ones I have in my head, even drawing the beautiful Victorian house where my story takes place (complete with floor plans).

And I'm having so much fun! I knew I loved to write. Last spring, when God made it clear He wanted me to pursue it as a profession instead of just a hobby, I got serious about it. But I feel guilty for my indulgence because I'm enjoying it so much.

That enjoyment shows, by the way. Not only do I like what I'm writing, but I can't get enough of it. I'm over my writing goal by more than 28,000 words already. I had hoped to reach 125K by the end of the year. At the rate I'm going, I'll get there by the end of next month! I can only hope!

What was the last goal you set? Or maybe there is one you should set? Did you reach it?

8 comments:

  1. I'm currently setting goals for my new book - I love having a word count to focus on!

    PS I can totally feel your passion through you words :) Soooo cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jolene! I'm sure there are other ways to get the words on paper, but this one sure works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marji, hi! I have awarded you the Liebster today on my blog. ;) Thanks for always being faithful to visit and comment, even when I don't always make it over here (or anywhere) many days. I appreciate you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. REDPATH- ROVE- SEACRRST- PHILIBAN
    now going after QUEEN
    With STING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're an inspiration, Marji! Just set a goal to complete my book proposal by the end of August. Better get busy! Have a productive week - from the sounds of it, shouldn't be a problem! Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, Thank you! I'm so flattered!

    Maria, You can do it! I would love to have this short story done by then, but I'm only about halfway through it.

    Make every word count!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eek! I haven't set a goal in a long time, but I need to. It def. helps me stay on track with my manuscripts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has really helped me, Jessica. If nothing else, it gives me permission to shut down the puter when I reach the goal! YEA!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...