I email a section of my WIP (writer's shortcut for work in progress) to the other gals of the group and we meet together. In my turn, I read my section aloud. That's probably the worst part. I'm a character actress, full of quirks and voices and accents, but straight reading causes me to skip words, hesitate and just plain stutter.
But I'll painfully endure the struggle through ten pages at a time. I've had four kids. I can do anything for a few minutes, right?
As I near the end, I anticipate the rapture. The amazement and sheer delight that my words bring them. "More, more," they will cry in utter delirium.
Do I sound a little like Ralphie in A Christmas Story? There's a reason why day dreams are called dreams.
Yeah, let's just say, that's never quite the reaction that the roomful of critique partners offers. Oh, did I forget to mention that the Brain Knockers are my critique group? Their jobs are to pick at things and ask questions. To make me analyze every detail of what I've written to make it exactly how it needs to be to bring that kind of delight to the reader.
So I sit for another grueling ten to fifteen minutes, making mental notes about the characters and their reactions, answering questions about why I've worded something a particular way and where I'm going with it. There are times when "What was I thinking?" crosses my mind along with "Who am I kidding?" and "What, besides an author, should I aspire to?"
But I don't stay there long. These ladies know just how deep to scrub; deep enough to get rid of the excess and clean up the ambiguity, but not so deep as to leave me hopeless. All of them will give encouragement, pointing out what they do like and confirming their support.
And as I leave, I can honestly say, I'm not the least bit discouraged. On the contrary, I'm pumped with focus and direction from these gals, a group of authors who are going before me and avid readers of Christian fiction who can tell the difference between what will satisfy and what won't.
And I'll hug their necks tightly and thank them for their guidance, meaning every word of it down to my ruby red toe nails!
Ah, a good crit group is like gold!
ReplyDeleteIsn't it though! And it's amazing how close you can get to the gals in a short time!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by, Anne. Looking forward to the release of Wings of a Dream next month!
Sounds like your critique group is taking your writing to the next level - removing the rough edges and leaving the jewel glimmering brightly! How inspirational!
ReplyDeleteThanks for dropping by Life Lessons! Always appreciate it when you stop by. You're right about anger! "Purging with kindness and healing with the antibiotic of forgiveness is the only cure." Wonderfully insightful statement! Hope you have a great week, my friend. Hugs and blessings!
Oh, it's an amazing group of gals, Maria. I feel thoroughly blessed. And I'm always delighted with your inspiration at Life Lessons! It's like your shoot brain waves right at me!
ReplyDeleteYou have a great week, too!
And what a valuable addition you are to the crit group. We're all learning.
ReplyDeleteThanks Pat! I know God certainly led me there! You gals have really challenged, inspired, and supported me in ways I never imagined! Gonna miss ya'll big-time through Vball season!
ReplyDeleteI've always loved my crit group pals and I'm so glad you've joined us. What a great place to get scrubbed down, and laugh the whole way through the process. And then come back for more the next week. Must be something there. lol.
ReplyDeleteOh DEFINITELY something there! See you tonight for another shake-down!
ReplyDelete