Today I spent almost 15 minutes driving up and down this one long street searching for addresses to help me figure out where I was going.
No lie. I drove down the almost deserted street searching to my left, the north side of the street, because those were the only buildings of the light industrial area that had cars out in front of them. The street signs gave the block number, so I knew I searched the right area, but I couldn't find the address to save my soul.
I did a U-ee across a creek and slowly drove back up the other side, trying desperately to see the rare names marking the glass doors. No luck.
I repeated the dance again, fully, with the thought tickling the back of my mind that this business had closed, or maybe it was just an address that allowed them to have an 800 number sales site. This time I found one address on the door near the corner. It was past the one I looked for.
Try again. Before I reached that door this time around, I pulled into a parking lot and scoured ever doorway in the place. Still striking out entirely.
That's it, I gave up. I drove back out to the intersection of the main street. I had some traffic coming, so I paused and glanced southward to watch the cars pass me.
There, bouncing before my eyes, likely blinking, too, in a neon yellow, was the sign for the store I was looking for. And it was huge! Right there on the corner. Right where I originally turned in. It would have slapped me across the cheeks if I had opened my window!
Tunnel vision, not the medical kind, is defined by Websters as "single-minded concentration on one objective." That definition doesn't really do it justice though. I think it's more focusing so much on assumptions or expectations that I miss the big picture (or sign as the case may be).
In a spiritual sense, it's working an agenda instead of working alongside the Lord where He shows His blessing. It's being consumed with the comfortable corner that I like instead of stepping back and seeing God's big picture. It's obsessing over light bulbs when the house is collapsing.
In a ministry sense, it's assuming I'm right without examining other options or possibilities. It's leading instead of following. Taking charge instead of listening and trusting.
"He who has ears, let him hear." (Especially if you can't see the sign smack dab in front of you!)
Good Words, Marji
ReplyDeleteThanks! True story, too. Embarrassing, but true. :)
ReplyDelete