THE MAILBOX, the debut novel of Marybeth Whalen, was probably the first purely romance book I've read in quite some time. Well, I'm just going to have to change that bad habit!
This book was delightful. The characters were so deep and their reactions to the situations around them showed realistic flaws. I could see myself reacting the very same way, with hurt and resentment, and resistent to resolve those feelings.
I love the way Ms. Whalen dealt with some pretty difficult topics. Grace and forgiveness is woven through the book to take the edge off of some of the painful situations, and even the antagonists, which rise and fall throughout the story, have their moments, showing some semblance of honesty and honor.
All in all, I love books that portray characters that are so real, not totally good, nor totally bad - just flawed - and struggling to do right. I can't wait to read her new novel, She Makes It Look Easy. I noticed that it is available at Amazon, but I'm waiting until June 1 when I can download it from Barnes and Noble to my Pandigital E-reader. (What a WONDERFUL invention!)
The Mailbox is at Barnes & Noble at this link, and available at Amazon at this link.
Update 9-18-11 The fact that I can still remember this story from 3 months ago speaks of Ms. Whalen's good writing. It was a sweet story. Not near my favorite list, and not benign enough to share with my precious redhead.
So what are you reading (well, besides this blog)? Seriously, what is the last book you picked up? And while you're at it, tell what book you look forward to picking up!


No comments:
Post a Comment
Sorry! Comments are turned off here. Visit my new blog at MarjiLaine.com
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.